In 1862, Dimitri Tarazi began his first commercial venture in Beirut, Lebanon, establishing the foundation for a resilient family business with a complex history. His younger brother André joined the company soon after and together they built their gallery and silk thread embroidery, carpets, old copper, and oriental-style furniture manufacturer.
In 1894, the Tarazi siblings parted ways. Dimitri continued to expand the business with his sons. Seven of his sixteen children followed in his footsteps, securing succession. The family opened a store in Beirut where the oriental furniture and antique trade was flourishing. They founded a branch in Jerusalem around 1895, followed by another in Damascus four years later. At the time the region was filled with commercial promise, attracting many tourists and travellers.